Monday, March 16, 2009

I'm pinging in the rain...

Harkness Park. Oil on stretched canvas, 8x10, sold

Every day, after I write my blog, I go to the feedburner site, sign in, and "ping" my blog. Pinging is what submariners used to do to find other subs underwater. They'd send out little blurts of sound, and when it bounced - or pinged - off another sub, and returned to the sender, the sub that had done the pinging could tell where the other subs were. At least, that's my concept of it, from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea."

Well, feedburner pings my blog and then sends it out to everyone who has subscribed by email. As it does this, it tells me how many people are subscribed - but not who they are.

Last week, I had 30 subscribers. I celebrated when I hit that 30 mark, I tell you! It was exciting. This from someone who, for 20 years, followed circulation figures as though my life depended on it - and, in fact, my professional life did.

Well, sad to say, I have lost two of my subscribers. Yesterday, I went to ping my blog, hoping I'd find that I had 31 subscribers - and two, yes, two, were gone.

I've asked myself why this matters. Heck, hundreds of people could be reading every day, just not subscribing. Yup. They could be, but chances are, they're not. Chances are that the subscribers - and perhaps my 19 followers - are the only ones who are reading this.

And that's fine. Circulation growth is a slow business, I know. I only wish I knew why those two people left! So, if you're one of them, let me know, would you? I am as curious as can be.

If you're reading this, and you're not subscribed, why don't you take a moment and sign up? The posts, and paintings, will arrive in your mailbox daily. You'll never have to remember to check in again. And you'll make me mighty happy.

To all of you, subscribers, followers and visitors alike, thank you for reading. You are why I write this blog!

Check out artforshelteranimals.blogspot.com, too!

1 comment:

Lauren Maurer said...

I love the color in this painting! Very nice job!