Sunday, June 26, 2011

Stonington point


Stonington Point
oil on canvas, 10x20
sold

Yesterday, at the end of the day, after I'd already made one painting, I went to Stonington in search of another.

Here at the world headquarters of Jacobson Arts, it's easy to forget that we live in a tourist area.

In Stonington, it's impossible to forget.

It was well after 6, and still, cars filled nearly all the parking spots. People ran and walked and sat on rocks, hugging. Kids and seagulls screamed.

And a cool, dense fog rolled in.

This surprised me, but my surprise showed me just how far we do live from the water. It might be only eight miles, but it's another universe.

I remembered, then, the nights at the beach when I was a kid. Hanging around on the sand, on the wall, laughing and flirting and watching the older kids drive by. June, July, August, it didn't matter. We all, always, had sweaters.

No comments: