Friday, November 4, 2011

Knott's Island


Knott's Island
Oil on canvas, 16x20
Please contact me for price and shipping information

I found myself enchanted by the ferry boats in the regions of North Carolina I visited on my painting trip. The very best was the ferry from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke Island. It took about 45 minutes, and had a relatively circuitous route, through what I imagine were rocks and shoals and who knows what else under the surface.

A few pelicans flew by, and a cloud of seagulls followed, and while I am pretty sure they were there because the ferry's engines were stirring up good stuff to eat, I never saw one of them dive or grab anything from the water.

The ferry from Currituck to Knott's Island was not as long a trip, or as interesting a one, but it was still fun. A school bus full of kids pulled up onto the ferry beside me; the trip was part of their daily commute. Can you imagine going to school on a ferry?




No comments: