Thursday, February 7, 2013

Katy

Katy
Oil on canvas, 12x12
Commission

I truly feel that painting was given to me by God, or whatever you want to call the higher power in the universe. I was given this gift, and there is no time that I feel it more directly or more truly than when I am painting animals.

My first painting was of dogs, and the next dozen or so were also pets, either dogs or cats, my own or friends'. I paint people's pets regularly these days, and I love doing it.

When I am on, when I am making the connection, I paint a pet portrait in one fairly breathless sitting. The portrait comes easily to me, and directly, and quickly. My eyes move, my hands move, my heart moves, and the painting comes through me and onto the canvas, just like that.

If I am not on, I sometimes have to do a painting two or three times before I get it right.

With every pet portrait, I give thanks for this gift that came to me when I was 50. I give thanks that I had the insight, the support and the lucky breaks to do something with it.

****

Would you like me to paint a portrait of your pet? Or do you know someone who would like a portrait? Please click here to drop me an email! I work from photographs, I ship all over the world, and I can tailor a painting to suit you and the colors you like. A 12-inch by 12-inch painting is $350, and I go up in size and price from there.

2 comments:

Paula Guhin said...

Love this painting and your blog, too! Keep up the great work.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Paula! I DO have new paintings coming, too, I promise. I don't think I've ever gone this long without posting, so I was doubly glad for your note.