Monday, February 23, 2015

Sailboats - and Fort Defiance Scenes

Sailboats, 10x10
Commission

This is the fifth in a six-piece commission I made for my youngest collector. She came up with the ideas, and set me loose on them. It was great fun to find the images, concoct a color palette for the whole thing, and make paintings that work alone and together. I loved every minute of it, and am honored by it, as well. When I post the final painting, I'll also post a photo she sent me of the pieces all together. 
***

WINTER HAS FINALLY caught up with me! I've been in Arizona, painting for the Origins Painting Trip, and I've had an interesting time, and made paintings I really like. 

But as I write this, I'm in a hotel in Tucumcari, NM. This is my second day here, and it might be the second of three, depending what happens with the weather. After I arrived, Saturday night, it began to sleet. That continued all night, then mixed with freezing rain and snow. The temperature dropped on Sunday, and the snow continued. It's snowing hard now, and the wind is blowing, and I am staying put until the weather blows out of here. And I might as well. The storm seems to be traveling the same road I intend to travel - I-40 to Memphis. 

***
Scenes from the Road

Can you imagine living on Bucket of Blood Street? At least a few people 
in Holbrook, AZ, do! So would you like to live there?  Below, a dino sculpture
on the main street in Holbrook. It must be an interesting town. 

I saw this "Water Is Life" graffiti on a shed on the road
 between Gallup, NM, and Fort Defiance, Arizona. 

Above and below, some of the amazing red rocks around 
Fort Defiance, AZ. I was born there, and the Origins Painting Trip
 took me back there to paint. 


***
Dog of the Day
It's Jillie, with my friend and sponsor, Rose. Jillie, a great, fun dog,
 is a real snuggler - and a great walker, but she's not so happy
 with the frigid temperatures and mounds of snow in upstate New York this winter! 

No comments: