Friday, May 8, 2015

May Azaleas - a Step Away for Me

May Azaleas
Oil on canvas, 10x10, $100 plus shipping if applicable

There's a part of me that always wants to paint more loosely, more abstractly. But I yam who I yam, I guess, and so, most of the time, my paintings are fairly well rooted in realism. And that's fine - but still, on the rare occasions that an abstract sort of piece comes along, I welcome it. 

This started as a painting of a chicken, a large chicken face, and I just didn't like it. So I started smushing the paint around, then adding this and adding that, and azaleas arose from it - at least to my eye. 

I love the colors in this one, and the stepped swirls of paint. I love the energy of it, and knowing that it was a "mistake," transformed. What do you think? 

***
Dog of the Day

The first time I visited Wachapreague, one of the things that impressed me was that, here and there, cats were just hanging out on front porches and stoops. The sight spoke to me of a place so quiet and sunny that the cats were warm and happy and safe. And that insight was true. This happy cat was snoozing in the afternoon yesterday on a sunny stoop on Pearl Street. 

***
A Final Thought

"I would rather die of passion than of boredom." 

- Vincent Van Gogh





No comments: