Friday, July 22, 2016

Dances with the Daffodils


Dances with the Daffodils
Oil on black canvas, 16x16

Yesterday I mentioned that I was a little behind in my posting. Well, this is how far behind. Daffodils! Sheesh! Seems an eternity ago that they were blooming, here on the Eastern Shore. 

These daffs show up every year at Eyre Hall, an estate that's nearly at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, just about an hour south of here. I drove all the way down there, only to find out that I'd left all my white paint at home. Arrgghh. 

But there I was, and so I decided to make the painting anyways. I had some beige that could do for highlights, and I just would have to mix my colors without using white. A challenge! 

The painting is brighter than it would have been with white. The sky is more solid. The daffodils are a bit more monotone than they might be. But the painting has punch, and I think it captures that moment in spring when the earth is just starting to come alive. 


***

Saw this sign in State College, PA, home of Penn State and, probably, a fair number of high pedestrians. 
***
Dog of the Day 
This cat lives with a nice woman whose house is around the corner from us 
here in Wachapreague. The cat believes she owns the road - and the lawn, 
and the next-door lawn, and the one next to that, too! 

***
A Final Thought 

"Art is the only serious thing in the world. 
And the artist is the only person who is never serious." 

- Oscar Wilde


No comments: