Monday, December 17, 2018

Three Mosaics


"Map of My Heart"
Oil on black canvas, 36x36
Please email me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com for price and availability

I STUMBLED INTO "mosaic" painting early this year, and have spent a lot of time and energy on these paintings. A year later, I find myself loving - and questioning - them. 

What I love: 
  • They call to me.  I find myself seeing the landscape in bits and pixels, focusing on how to build these daubed landscapes, being drawn more and more to views that can be painted in this way (it is not every landscape, I'm finding). 
  • They contain some magic, in the making and in the viewing. I can look at one of these big pieces forever, and find myself drawn in by them, by the colors, the patterns, the repetition, the rhythm, the movement through the canvas. 


What I question: 
  • It takes forever to make them. 
  • It is physically difficult. My poor shoulder resents these paintings and the uncountable number of daubs and strokes required. 
  • I have to ask high prices for them (see above!) 


And... in the end... a little voice sometimes says - "Just Paint." Quit finessing, quit this focus on method, quit daubing, just load up the knife, make long, loose, free strokes, Just Paint. 

This is a serious quandary, and I would love any feedback you'd like to give me. 

I have started a further experiment, with these two smaller pieces. They are looser, faster, less involved, less planned. The strokes are larger, the margins less fussy, the effect - I think - entirely different. What do you think? 


Autumn Hillside, 10x10, $150


September Song, 10x10, $150

***
Dog of the Day

Saw this trio in Onancock last week. Ho ho ho! 

***
A Final Thought

"What is art? Nature concentrated."

- Honore de Balzac



No comments: