Thursday, January 8, 2009

Specifics

January Dusk, oil on canvas, 12x12

I painted this one from inside the house after the most recent snowstorm. I loved the way the shadows stretched across the snow, following the contours of the ground. Without those shadows, you couldn't tell at all that there are curves and hillocks and dips back there. I made the shadows too dark at first, and had to wait for the painting to set up a little before I could lighten the color. I really like this one!

I've got my next challenge in mind: Be more specific. Not only is it this landscape, on this day, with this light and this atmosphere - but it's this landscape, with this truck driving down the road, or this bird flying through, or that person bending over the mailbox. I think it's time for me to try putting in some of the stuff that I've spent time learning to take out.

It's an idea, at least!

1 comment: