Thursday, November 19, 2009

Georgia on My Mind

Summer Song
Oil on canvas, 15x30


Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting

Yesterday, I had the great good fortune to go to the Whitney Museum in New York City and see, among other things, a collection of Georgia O'Keeffe's abstract paintings.

The pieces were fascinating, inspiring, evocative. It was exhilarating to think of these big ideas, these huge imaginings, coming from the small, hard-looking woman in Alfred Stieglitz's photos.

The paintings were not the absolute riot of color I'd thought they might be, though that brilliance presented itself in more than a few. Instead, I'd say the pieces were a song of control, hummed over a prayer of movement and the whisper, again and again, of color.

My favorite pieces were among the darkest, a trio of abstracts that transformed themselves for me into gray mountains, folds of the earth, thoughts of blindness, the lines and melding and pulling apart of marriage.

The show continues through Jan. 17. If you have the chance, go. It will feed your heart and your soul.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: