Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Labradoodle I


Labradoodle
Oil on canvas, 12x12. Commission

It feels like a lifetime since I've stood in a field, listened to the wind and painted the world before my eyes. And that's OK - but  the longing is building in me.

I've been painting dogs since before Christmas. I've been painting cows and dogs and cats since Christmas. I've been enjoying the absolute luxury of painting inside my beautiful studio. And I've been working, taking care of an older couple in West Hartford.

That job is down to a few days a week, as the couple's health improves. It is a lovely job, really. They are dear people, they need and appreciate me, and we have fun. I read somewhere that everyone should spend more time with people who are older than 70 and younger than 7, and I agree.

I've spent the past few days painting this labradoodle, my most recent commission. It's heading to DC when it dries!

And I am heading back out into the world, as soon as I can. I'm still painting for the "Pets & Places" show at the Lighthouse Gallery - but I will have to stop myself soon! The opening reception is Friday, Feb. 5, from 5-7 p.m. The gallery is on Long Hill Road in Groton, right next to Arrow Party & Paper - and you're all invited. Click here for information and directions.

One great thing about this little gallery is that commissions on anything I sell go to the Lighthouse Voc-Ed program.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Art with Liz said...

What a great title Carrie! And again, a great doggie portrait!

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Liz! There'a a labradoodle movement afoot here - cross of labrador and poodle... one of my best friends has one - they all look pretty much like this guy, sort of like a curlier, bigger wheaten terrier. I've met a few of them and they've all been goofy and sweet.