Thursday, April 1, 2010

Killer

Killer
Oil on canvas, 12x12. Contact Contact Lori at Center Framing and Art (860-233-7804) for price and delivery options.


For me, advancement glides in on the wings of failure. I don't take steps forward by thinking and then doing, but by doing and then thinking. 

And I believe I've always been that way. That's one of the reasons I find computers so wonderful - they let me try out sentences and word orders, and let me change them again and again, without having to erase or use whiteout or go through sheet after sheet after sheet of paper. 

Painting is much the same for me. I make a line or a blob or a shape, I try a color or a stroke or a gesture, and if it doesn't work, I scrape it off or move it around and try it again. Sometimes I have a whole series of things that don't work, ideas or colors or even whole paintings - and I welcome these. I embrace them! To me, they mean that improvement, change, discovery are coming. 

While I'm writing all this beneath this painting, I don't mean to imply that it is a failure. In fact, I like it a lot - though not as much as I liked Sherry Svec's painting of the same cat (her cat), which she did in a pet-painting workshop of mine. 


If any of you are around West Hartford, Conn., on Saturday, stop by Center Framing & Art, 56 LaSalle Road, and say hi. I will be painting on the sidewalk there from about 10 to about 2, and I'd love to see you. 


And take a look at the gallery during the month of April. The window will be full of paintings of cats - by me! 


Thank you for reading. 





No comments: