Sunday, October 23, 2011

Big Wind, Hatteras

Big Wind, Hatteras
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

My easel blew over even before I put the canvas on it, that's how windy it is here! And the wind comes from all directions, since Cape Hatteras is surrounded by ocean. Surrounded! Just when you think you've figured it out, the wind starts puffing up from the other side.

But I know the wind. I've painted in Nebraska and Wyoming. I've painted in Prince Edward Island and in Iowa. I've painted on days so windy that no sane person would think about painting.

I sling my paint bag from my easel, and tape the canvases right to the easel if I have to. I use the van as a shield, and put my palette inside the back of the van, in part so the palette itself doesn't blow away, and I can use my hands to hold the canvas down.

I know the wind, I love the wind, I love painting the wind, and so I've learned. And it's great!






No comments: