Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winter Sunset


Winter Sunset
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

I have realized that one of the things that I like best about painting is that it is something I do with my hands. Something I make with my hands.

I remembered my delight, when I worked in newspapers, at finding out that in most states, newspapers are categorized as manufacturers. (This was 25 years ago and might have changed since, but at the time, it was true). I loved that, and it made sense to me. I always appreciated the workmanship of a well-designed page, a well-written story, a well-crafted headline.

And painting, for me, is much the same. By and large, it is not a magical experience, spirit floating on the wind, etc. It is a physical effort. It is work. It is a muscle that grows stronger with use - so that when that magical experience does come along, when that spirit flashes across my path, I will have the vision to see it and the strength and ability to capture it.




1 comment:

Patrice said...

So good to see your new work - and it's fabulous. I have missed you during my hiatus, but hey! I'm back.

Blogging shall commence henceforth.

Go!!