Saturday, August 25, 2012

Woodland Hills

Woodland Hills
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

On Sunday in Mt. Gretna, PA, a lovely woman who'd been there Saturday came back with her fascinating and creative daughters and bought a $100 painting, Salt Marsh Mosaic, one of my favorites.

And that was it. That was the one sale of the entire show.

It was demoralizing, but it gave me time to think. I have changed my display a little. I am going to focus, for a while at least, on large paintings and small paintings, and not the in-between sizes. I'm going to make square paintings and long rectangular paintings - as soon as I go through my current canvases.

And most important - with Peter's help and support, and the help and support I get from all of you who follow this blog - I am beginning to understand that this is a long, long journey I am on. One show is just one show, one step on a pretty long road. Taking that view, one show doesn't matter. It was great that I got in, it was an honor, but it's not the show for me.

So this weekend, I am at Ski Butternut in Great Barrington, MA, for the first August edition of the Berkshires Outdoor Art Festival. The July festival has been going on for a while, and is a good show, I am told. This is the first year for this one, and so who knows. I have no expectations. It's a three-day show, and there were few people there Friday. And no one bought a painting.

But today is a new day, and it is beautiful here in the mountains! I've had the chance to paint these past couple days, and that sets everything right for me.

No comments: