Friday, September 14, 2012

On Marlin Lane

On Marlin Lane
Oil on canvas, 10x10, $100
sold
Behind our back yard is a huge cornfield, and just at the edge of that cornfield is a house that's for sale. The house is not much - it could be much, but it would need a lot of work to get it there.

But the land! Twenty-two acres, mostly salt marsh, and about the most beautiful land and landscape you've ever seen.

I got permission from the landowner and from the realtor to go over there and paint, and so, one afternoon this week, I did. The mosquitoes that have been swarming around here since the recent rains must have been swarming around somewhere else that day. They came back just as I was finishing the painting, but for the most part, left me alone during the bulk of my painting.

I love the yellow-green of the salt marsh in this painting, and how the water winds and shines through it.

And yes, when the paint dries, I will pluck out the little stick that's stuck in the top of the painting. It blew in to the paint while I was working at the bottom of the piece! Authenticity!

***

I am heading into unknown lands today, as I drive to Leesburg, VA, to set up for my first Virginia show. I am excited! I'm told that the area around Leesburg is beautiful, and that the historic part of town, where I will be, is fun and attractive. And so we'll see.

If you're in the area, I will be on South King Street, in Booth 37. Please stop in and say hello! (Or since we are in Virginia, please say Hi y'all!)

No comments: