Monday, September 3, 2012

Salt Marsh Afternoon

Salt Marsh Afternoon
Oil on canvas, 6X12
sold

Last fall, I took a photo of afternoon shadows lengthening onto the Wachapreague salt marsh on a golden afternoon (the photo is below).

It was one of the moments, one of the scenes, that made me fall in love with the place. And it is something I want to paint, and will paint, over and over. And over.

At the Olde Mystick Village Meet the Artists show, I made a small version of what is destined to be a larger painting. I have a canvas that is 24x72, that I'd been planning to use for this painting. I had been thinking of doing a horizontal painting, but something that a buyer said made me think vertical.

I really like the vertical approach, and how it came out in this very small painting. But what about a painting that's 72 inches high? That's 6 feet. What do you think? Do people have places for a painting that's 6 feet tall, or would I be making an unsalable work? I'd love to hear your opinions.

***

If you're reading this Monday, you can come to the final day of the Olde Mystick show. It's at the edge of the shopping center near the Steak Loft, and it is a fun and interesting show, with lots of very fine work. The show is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you're there, please stop in to my booth and say hello!


No comments: