Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Friday Sunrise

Friday Sunrise
Oil on canvas, 10x10, $100
sold

On Wednesday, I leave for Florida and shows in Sarasota and Boca Raton.

The Sarasota show is Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 10 and 11, in St. Armand's Circle, and you can read more about it by clicking here.  The show in Boca Raton, in Mizner Park Amphitheater, is Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 17 and 18, and you can read more about that show by clicking here. 

In this world of art fairs, Florida is somewhat of a holy grail. "Oh, you should go to Florida. Your stuff would sell great in Florida," is a reaction I've gotten again and again, along with "people in Florida have money, and they buy art."

I have also heard that people in New England have money, and they buy art; and people around Washington, DC, have money and they buy art; and people in New York City have money and they buy art... and it is all true.

But what's really more true, I think, and more at the heart of this truth, is that there are certain people who are destined to own certain paintings. Certain people who fall in love with certain paintings.

When this happens - and it does; I've seen it and it is magical - the person will buy the painting if it is at all within their financial grasp. If it's a person with money, she doesn't even ask the price.

If, on the other hand, it's not the right person for that painting, there is nothing I can do to make them buy it. I can offer a $400 painting at $25, and they will say they don't have any space on their walls.

As all of this unfolds in this new world of mine, I have to say that I am finding it absolutely fascinating. So we will see what Florida is like! I'll keep you posted.


No comments: