Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Roy

Roy
Oil on canvas, 20x20

Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down, and sometimes you get both in the same package. Such is the case with Roy!

I arranged to trade paintings with a fellow artist, who is also a good friend. I'd get a painting of hers (to give to our daughter for Christmas), and in return, I'd do a portrait of this artist's dog.

She sent photos, she pulled aside the painting for me, and we were off and running. I decided to take a chance with her piece, do one of my minimalist paintings, and see.

Here's what I saw: She doesn't like this piece.

But I do. I love it. It's one of my favorite dog paintings ever. I love the sketchy, minimalist approach. I love Roy's eyes. I love the green above his left eye. I love his goofy tongue and the way the painting slides off the side of the canvas.

So I'll do another piece for her - and keep my Roy, or sell him, depending. She will be happy, in time - and I already am.

2 comments:

Paula Guhin said...

Nice painting, so expressive!
Paula at mixedmediamanic.blogspot.com

Paula Guhin said...

Such an expressive dog portrait!
Paula at mixedmediamanic