Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Texas Morning - and the Virginia Beach Roller Coaster

Texas Morning
Oil on canvas, 24x36
Please contact me for price and delivery information

The Boardwalk Art Show at Virginia Beach ended up well for me - but it was a real roller coaster. The wind blew hard again on Sunday, so hard that I had to take paintings down, and move large paintings close to the floor - a bizarre look, but necessary. 

Most of all, I am glad it's over! And I'm looking forward to Pooch-A-Palooza, this weekend in Canton, MA. If you're in the area, please come by. And I expect you can bring the dogs, too! 

***

SOMETIMES I FORGET to talk about why I love the paintings I've made, or why I made them in the first place. It occurred to me that while I told you all that I really love "Reflections,"  I didn't ever say why. 

I've never wanted to be the kind of painter who replicates reality. I like seeing works by painters like that, and I am always amazed by their skill. But I want to make paintings - not photographs.

I have a natural tendency toward realism, but I like to push it towards abstraction. It's fun for me to work abstract bits and pieces into my paintings. Purple cows, blue trees, mosaic skies. 

I have tried and tried to make good abstract paintings - and they have been pretty uniformly terrible. So I love "Reflections" because it is pretty abstract - and also realistic. This painting was a leap for me, and it is a signal that there's something new coming in my work. And for that alone, I love it. 

I also love the painting at the top of this blog. The cows themselves were amazing, the morning was brilliant and hot and clear, and that tree alone was worth the detour from the highway. In this painting, I like the bulk of the cows and the twisty curve of the tree - and that one blue cow in the background, staring. 

How about you? 

***
Dog of the Day


This Maltese pup is about the cutest dog EVER!!!
Want your pet to be Dog of the Day? Send a jpg to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com! 

***
Hahahaha


                                                        How can you not love this guy?

No comments: