Monday, August 19, 2013

A Wind Ever Soft - and an Update on the Store


A Wind Ever Soft
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

These days, these shortening days, I concentrate on breathing with my soul, on standing solidly on the ground, on seeing all there is to see, and rejoicing. 

Tired and exhausted, fulfilled and sad, all together, I curled up for a time, and now am putting that behind me, and striding out - to see, to explore, to paint, to move ahead. 

Here in the south, I'm meeting crapemyrtle, a fantastical tree that starts blooming in the summer, and blooms for months, it seems, coloring the landscape with dark pink, light pink, and also with white - though the dark pink, nearly fuscia, is what you see most. 

The crapemyrtle, blooming around the bigger house in this grove, is what made me stop to paint. Then I noticed the cool blue shadows, the lovely tall pines, and the bruised-looking clouds moving in on the wind. 

It is all part of re-energizing, re-seeing, reacclimating myself to home. 

Here's where I got title of the painting:
Know’st thou the land where the lemon-trees bloom,
Where the gold orange glows in the deep thicket’s gloom,
Where a wind ever soft from the blue heaven blows,
And the groves are of laurel and myrtle and rose!
Goethe, Wilhelm Meister.



Here's my painting in the landscape. It's hard to see the buildings in the background, but they are there.

***

Well, a wrecker pulled the truck out of Pat and Carol's store, and the building didn't crumble. Neither of the women has crumbled, either.




***
Dog of the Day

Yes, it's Woodreau, one of our dogs, who just looked so ratty and cute, I had to use him for DOD.




No comments: