Sunday, August 24, 2014

House with the Blue Door - and JoJo, Watchdog Extraordinaire

House with the Blue Door
Oil on canvas, 30x30
Available at Center Framing & Art, West Hartford Center, CT

On an unexpected and fortuitous trip to Cape Cod this summer, I made a couple landscapes I really love. One - Lighthouse Inn - has sold, but this one is available, at the always wonderful Center Framing and Art in West Hartford Center, CT. 

Though you can't tell from looking at the painting, I set up to make this one in a boat-launch parking lot in Chatham. I've painted at the sides of roads, I've painted in campgrounds, I even painted in a construction site. I'm not sure I've painted in a place that was nearly as busy as this boat-launch ramp. Guys - and a couple women - drove big and small trucks, hauling big and small boats, in and out and in and out and in and out of this place. They parked, they unparked, they backed up and went forward and jiggered and jogged until they got their boats in the water. And they all looked at me and wondered what the HECK I was doing there. 

The sky went from gray and stormy to blue, and back to gray and stormy while I painted. I really love the sky in this painting. I think it's one of my best ever. 


My painting in the landscape

***
Dog of the Day

Yet again, it is JoJo. She has watched me, and guarded me, and stuck to me like Velcro ever since I got home from Montauk. And you know what? No one has attacked me, or made off with a painting, or with me, or with anything from the house or the van or the garage or anywhere! What a watchdog! 


No comments: