Monday, April 13, 2015

Four by Four by Four

Four Coneflowers
Each is 4x4; $40 for each, or $150 for all four

For a variety of reasons, I don't have prints. The biggest reason is that prints don't have the surface texture of paintings, and so, in a way, they are self-negating. You can see the texture, but can't touch it or feel it, and it doesn't capture the light the way the paintings do. That being said, so many people ask for prints that I am thinking of making some available on line, and seeing how it goes. 

Another reason that I don't have prints is that I always have $100 painting available. In many shows, prints sell for more than $100. So you can come to me and get an original oil painting for less than a print! 

But $100 is substantial money, and more than many folks can afford right now. So I am trying an experiment - 4-inch by 4-inch paintings that I'll sell for $40 each. I'm making them in groups of four, and if someone wants all four, they can buy them for $150. 

What do you all think? Is this a good idea? Is $40 a reasonable price for a small oil painting? I'd love to hear your thoughts. So far, I've done coneflowers, sunflowers and sunsets. I'll post them all in time here on the blog. 
***
Dog of the Day 
It's Patsy and Vinnie, from an Easter past. Patsy, the bulldog, 
passed away last year, suddenly and sadly. Vinnie is going strong. 

***
A final thought

"If you are distressed by anything external, the paint is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."

- Marcus Aurelius




2 comments:

Sara said...

GREAT idea!! I can see so many sets...4 cows, 4 different fruits or veggies, 4 chickens, etc. You always have such wonderful new ideas.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Sara! I like making them, and I think people will enjoy having them. I'm going to do some odd little animals, too...