Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Waterfall with Birches


An artist I me on Facebook, Cynthia Rosen Malter, has been painting waterfalls recently, and really enjoying them.                                                                                                         Inspired by her, and realizing that there are no waterfalls here on the ultra-flat Eastern Shore, I set out to find some waterfall photographs, and then to paint them.                                                                                                                                             I had an absolute blast. It's so fun to paint them! I don't know how Cynthia does it, but what I've done in the two I've painted is put everything in except the waterfall, and then put that in last.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Of course, that means that at the very last moment, I could ruin the entire painting! Yes, I could scrape off any mistakes, and I do that regularly, but I think that in the case of waterfalls, that scraping-off would show.                                                                                                                                        So these are fun, challenging and scary paintings to make, and that's a combination that I always enjoy, and one that always motivates me. I can hardly wait to start another one!                                                                                                                                                    ***                                                                                                                                                THE WACHAPREAGUE VOLUNTEER Firefighters Carnival takes place every year at the end of June and the beginning of July, and supports the volunteer firefighter company here in town.                                                                                                                                                                    The fire department owns the rides, and their bones are up in town all year. The firefighters put the seats and what have you on for the carnival, and open up the buildings for games, raffles and food items. 

Usually, I can't go, because I'm on the road doing shows. But this year, I was able to go, and so we did, when Erika and Paul were here. We had a great time! It was a lovely, cool night, and we walked over, strolled the grounds, played some games, listened to a pretty good band, and ate fair food for dinner. We saw people from town there, and there were also people from all over the Shore. It's a thing to do, in a place where there's not always much to do. Fair-goers were all ages, all races, and as far as I could see, all having fun. 
We walked back, and fireflies lighted the growing dusk. It was a pretty perfect time. 




 




***
Dog of the Day


It's Archie, looking out the window of my brother's house in Hartford. Want your pet to be the Dog of the Day? Send a jpg to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com

***
A Final Thought
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, 
for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. 
You will have created something." 
- Kurt Vonnegut


No comments: