Sunday, February 14, 2021

Two Snow Scenes


Above, Bridge in the Snow l, oil on black canvas  /sold. 
Below, Bridge in the Snow ll, oil on black canvas, 8x10, $120 including shipping. 
Please email me at carrieBjacobson if you would Bridge in Snow II.


IT'S HARD TO PAINT SOFT WITH A KNIFE. Soft works much better with brushes, though even as I type this, I have a new idea for soft snow scenes. 

I've done a couple interesting fog pieces - softness is required for fog - by making a painting, letting it dry a little, then putting some gray white over the fog areas, and rubbing it off. Of course, it's pretty scary to do this, especially if you like the initial painting. Now I am wondering if a tactic like this might work, also, for snow. I think I will try a third piece, and post it here, in a bit. 

This painting came from a photograph on a plein-air painters group on Facebook. The person who took the picture (I think it's of a scene in Colorado) gave permission for people to paint it, and so I am including it below. 

I really love making snow paintings, but typically - for me, at least - they haven't sold. I was surprised and delighted when this one did! Who knows? Maybe the lower one will sell, too. 


***
Coda

"I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; 
and perhaps it says, "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again." 

- Lewis Carroll
 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking- Glass 


No comments: