Saturday, February 21, 2009

New England afternoon

Enders Island. Oil on stretched canvas, 6x12, $55

It's winter, and so no one is keeping people off the private roads of Mason's Island yet. Yesterday at sunset, I went exploring. I'd forgotten how beautiful it is on Mason's Island, and also on Enders Island, the retreat at Mason's Island very tip.

Today, I set out to find a painting there. I wanted to try at sunset, but I'm going to visit my sister this evening, so I went in the afternoon. I set up near the Mason's Island Yacht Club and began to paint. The sun was shining, the water was calm and only the seagulls were making noise.

Ten minutes later, everything changed. A gale blew in across the Sound. The surface of the water broke into choppy waves. The leaves of my paper palette went flying, smearing paint all over. My brushes blew off the trunk of the Miata. My scarf blew into my wet painting, my hair blew into my eyes, and I packed everything up and left.

I finished this little painting in the basement. It's not as pretty there as it is on Mason's Island, but it's a heck of a lot warmer.

No comments: