Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Closer to the Sky

This is my first studio, here at the Whalehead Road world headquarters of Jacobson Arts.

What you don't see is that when I moved my studio into this bedroom, there was a woodstove in here that took up about a quarter of the space. We sold the woodstove, but then, forced to clean the rug in Peter's office, he and I moved a huge bulk of his stuff into my studio.

That stuff? It never left.

Even before his stuff edged into my space, I had moved my painting to the basement. And honestly, it's not been a bad studio space. I have as much room as I could want, and if I'm ever low on inspiration, I can try on clothes, sort through poorly labeled boxes or do laundry. Also, the cats and their litter boxes add to the ambiance.

I never moved my desk, or computer, or any of that to the basement, though.

Ta-dah! While I was hauling my work from Maine to New York, a wonderful carpenter actually showed up, on time, and put stairs up to the second floor of the garage. It's not as big a space as the basement, but it has a skylight, two windows and it's all mine! There's room for my desk, the wireless connection works all the way out there, and it is as quiet and animal-free as I want. And greedy me, I am not sharing it with anyone.

Of course, I need insulation, electricity and some way to heat - but that is all doable.

I am a happy painter with my treetop studio!

No comments: