Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

Fat Little Chihuahua


Fat Little Chihuahua
Oil on canvas, 12x12
sold

Well, life with all its twists and turns has given me something new: a job.

In three weeks, if all goes according to schedule, I start as the local editor for Patch.com in Montville, Conn., a town just across the river from.

Patch.com is funded by AOL. It is an effort to get good local news out to readers on the internet. It has a simple and elegant interface, and seems to focus on the right stuff. I will be working at home, in my car, wherever I am, finding news and crafting features about people and events in Montville.

I will be earning pretty good money for this, and will have health, dental and vision benefits - and more - starting on Day One. Patch.com is supplying me with a computer, police scanner, camera, phone and all the rest of the stuff that a roving news-gathering operation needs. (There is a part of me that wants to let these people know that journalists are accustomed to being treated like unwanted guests, not like valued employees, but I am going to keep my mouth shut. )

Peter is going to step into his old role of doing all the housework, all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and so we both believe that I should be able to do this job and continue to develop my painting career.

Honestly, short of having a patron suddenly appear and offer to pay all the bills for the next couple years (if you're out there, please make yourself known!!), this is the best shot I have of earning enough of a living to live on until my sales really pick up.

I'm selling more paintings and doing better than I had ever believed possible. If it weren't for health insurance, I would be very close to breaking even, and that's truly a miracle. But this is, too.


1 comment:

Art with Liz said...

Cute little dog! And well done on the most amazing job Carrie!