Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fields and Fog




Fields and Fog
Oil on canvas, 12x36
Please email me for price and delivery options
Fields and Fog, detail

It seems to me that there was more fog when I was growing up. Sure there was, figuratively - but I mean really and truly - in the weather sense of things. Maybe that's just my admittedly foggy memory - but now, it seems there's fog only on rare autumn mornings, when the fog is over the rivers, the night's cool dreams meeting the morning's promise of heat.

When I was a kid, we had whole days of fog. Whole weeks, it seems, even. The fog would roll in off the water and blanket the area, and it was a regular thing, as regular as sunny mornings or rainy ones. 

I remember living in Idaho and longing for the fog. Longing for days of rain, too. Longing for those gray New England stretches that of course, as a kid, I couldn't stand. Spend a year in a place where it's always sunny, and you'd be surprised what weather you'd yearn for. 

At any rate, I had a great time painting the wavy, curling swells of fog and grass in this painting. I feel like I've been freed - and I didn't even know I was locked up. 


No comments: