Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Maryland Barns

Maryland Barns
Oil on canvas, 6x12
sold

I've been having a blast with these minimal paintings, experimenting, testing, seeing what I like, trying to understand what works and what doesn't.

I'm also interested in just what kind of scene will translate into one of these paintings vs. one of my more typical pile-on-the-paint paintings.

It seems it might just be a decision, and nothing more than that. I'm going to make this painting with a ton of paint, or I am going to make this painting with not much paint.

But my guess is that, as I continue to paint these, I will begin to understand what works and why. I have yet to make one of the minimal ones that is pure landscape, with no objects (I've included buildings and boats). So that will be interesting.

***

WANT TO SEE some of these in person? Come to the Wickford Outdoor Art Festival this weekend in Wickford, RI. The show is Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., though I do remember it closing earlier than 6 on Sunday. But there's a new director this year, so perhaps the Sunday hours have changed!

It's a really good show of paintings, drawings, mixed media, photography and sculpture. No jewelry, no ceramics, no clothes, so be forewarned!

***
Dogs of the Day

Here are Finnegan and Cooper, two more dogs who live with the talented artist Lori Rowe, outside Chicago. Thanks for sending them!

Want your pet to be the DOD? Send a photo to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: