Friday, May 2, 2014

Maryland Farm Revisited - and Good Thoughts for Woody, Please


Maryland Farm, the original

I was surprised when Audrey Hoffmann, of Gallery H in Tubac, suggested that I might try more pieces with dramatic skies. 

My typical approach, I realized, is to paint the bluest of blue skies, the sunniest of sunny days, the best of the joyful weather. I am happy painting for a living, and I suspect that, subconsciously, I seek landscapes that mirror my heart. 
But when Audrey made this suggestion, I realized that I love painting dramatic skies - and that generally, people respond really well to them. 

So I launched an experiment. "Maryland Farm,"  which you see above, is a painting that I really like, but it has not sold in more than a year of shows. I love this piece for its lilting hills, the rich texture of the just-plowed field, the mountains in the background, and the sense of perspective.

Yesterday, I added some big, towering clouds. I made sure that the dramatic sky still worked with the light in the painting, and I had fun painting a storm just rolling in over the land. The finished painting is below. I will take it to a show as soon as it's dry enough, and I'll let you know what happens. 

Maryland Farm Revisited
Oil on canvas, 30x36

SPEAKING OF SHOWS, I will be in Rockville, Maryland this weekend at A-RTS.  It's the second year for this show, and the first year for me. I'm in Booth 218, on East Middle Street, so if you are in the area on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., or Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., please stop by! I have exciting new work for sale, including paintings from my California Calling Painting Extravaganza

***
Dog of the Day


THIS IS WOODREAU, hiding under a chair two days ago, on a visit to the vet. There might be something terribly wrong with him (cancer, or some other sort of tumor) or he might have a bladder infection. He's on antibiotics, and he seems his old self again, so Peter and I are hoping for the best. Woody and we will gladly take any good thoughts or prayers you want to send our way.

No comments: