Friday, June 20, 2014

Wittersley Road - and a Philadelphia Show

Wittersley Road, 10x10
sold

My friends Cynthia and Kevin showed me this lovely sight, just outside of their hometown, New Milford, CT. 

I found a place to pull over and paint, and watch the clouds roll in, and wonder if the sky would truly cook up a storm. In the time it took me to paint this, the thunderheads grew and grew, but never broke. 

I really like the way this painting captures the light, and the threat, too, way off in the distance. 


My painting in the landscape

***
IF YOU'RE NEAR Philadelphia, please come to the Manayunk Arts Festival this weekend. It takes place Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. I'm in Booth 85... and I think that's on Main Street, but we'll see. This is a new show for me, and I'm excited about it! 

***
SO, SATURDAY IS the longest day of the year. And yet again, it seems that the days are going to start getting shorter - and summer's barely here. 

Today, I realized that that my consternation comes from being correct. The days ARE getting shorter - well, sunset is getting earlier - and yes, summer's barely here. It starts on the 21st. So all this buildup is spring. Finally, an explanation! Every year, I think - oh NO! The days are already getting shorter, and I haven't taken advantage of it. I haven't spent those long evenings outdoors, I haven't worn sleeveless shirts, I haven't picked strawberries or gotten really tan, or even gone swimming. 

Well, summer hasn't even started! I feel better about it all now. 

***
Dog of the Day

I met this fine French bulldog at the New Milford Arts and Crafts festival. Cute! 

No comments: