Wednesday, October 29, 2014

I Shall Find You - and a New Neighbor?

I Shall Find You
Oil on black canvas, 12x36

I love a tall, skinny painting! Verticals are more unusual, and while a huge vertical can be tough to hang, a small one works pretty much anywhere. 

The colors in this one, the dark green foliage at the bottom, the stained-glass feeling at the top, the little blurb of orange and pink at the bottom, and the willowy feeling of the tall flowers, these are all things that make me like this one. 

Here's the poem from which I took the title. The poem is "Idyll," by Siegfried Sassoon:  

IN the grey summer garden I shall find you
With day-break and the morning hills behind you.
There will be rain-wet roses; stir of wings;
And down the wood a thrush that wakes and sings.
Not from the past you’ll come, but from that deep         5
Where beauty murmurs to the soul asleep:
And I shall know the sense of life re-born
From dreams into the mystery of morn
Where gloom and brightness meet. And standing there
Till that calm song is done, at last we’ll share  10
The league-spread, quiring symphonies that are
Joy in the world, and peace, and dawn’s one star.

***
Dog of the Day

I'm pretty sure his name is Nick, and I'm pretty sure he's going to move into the little blue house next door. His human, Margot, has put an offer on Dulcie's house, and if the inspection and all the other house stuff goes well, we will have neighbors. Yay! 

No comments: