Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Earth Laughs in Flowers

The Earth Laughs in Flowers
Oil on black canvas, with gold leaf, 40x40
Please email me for price and availability

One of the joys of leaving newspapers is that I am no longer required to be emotionally involved in the news of the day. I can choose to let it have a deep impact on my life, or to let the events of the day touch me and then dissipate. Most days now, this is what I do. It's what I must do, I find, if I am to remain sane and whole and devoted to finding the joy in my world and making art that captures that joy and passes it along.  

Today, I watched the news of the bombing in Brussels, and I listened to candidates for the presidency try to make hay from the events. I thought about the lives lost and the incredible, seemingly unstoppable violence, all in the name of God. 

And then I turned the television off, and I played with the puppies. I rejoiced in the warmth of a spring morning and the deep, simple pleasure of the first cup of coffee of the day. I thanked my God, a God who - in my understanding - doesn't want war or strife, for the many gifts I have, for my family and friends and this simple life. I turned away from the violence and the hate and focused on love and the light. While this might be simplistic, while it might be superficial, it is what I can do, and for that, I am thankful. 

***
Dog of the Day
Ruth's dog Patsy died suddenly last fall. When Ruth and Tim were in Tucson this winter, 
they found Lucy, on the left, and adopted her. Vinny, right, seems pretty happy 
with the change, and Ruth and Tim are happy, too. 

***
A Final Thought

"To create one's own world takes courage." 

- Georgia O'Keeffe




No comments: