Saturday, April 23, 2016

Five Waders - and Fun in Chattanooga!

Take Me to the River
Oil on black canvas, 36x60
sold
I had a nice time in Chattanooga, and such a successful show that I skipped the show in Memphis and came home to paint for shows April 30-May 1 in Richmond, and May 7-8 in Crozet, VA.

The show in Chattanooga took place in a pavilion that's a lovely mix of indoor and outdoor space. Lots of people showed up, and they were supportive and knowledgeable - and they bought my paintings.

I had some extra special surprises, too! I had just finished a sale, and was rehanging and straightening paintings when I turned around and, well, worlds collided. There at the threshold of my booth was my dear friend Carden Holland - who lives in Pennsylania! She'd read that I was in the show in Chattanooga, and taken the opportunity to come south and see me, and visit with a sweet cousin of hers who lives in Chattanooga.


Carden (left) is a gifted artist who taught art in schools in southeastern Connecticut for many years. She was a friend of my mother's first, and through that friendship, Carden and I became friends. She was one of the very first people who liked my paintings, and supported the idea that I could become a professional artist. Carden and I had shows together, at the now-defunct Lighthouse Gallery in Groton, and at the Groton Public Library. Check out her beautiful work by clicking here.

Another wonderful surprise was a visit by Beth James, (left) a faithful blog reader! We had never met, but now I feel we are friends.
Below, the space where the show took place.                                                                      















***
This sign in Chattanooga was just there, without explanation. 
Far as I could tell, it was the only one like it in the city... 

If you have a photo of a funny sign or any amusing sight, and you'd like to share it with readers of The Accidental Artist, please email it to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com!

***
Dogs of the Day
It's Hazel, in the back, and Stanley, in the front. A friend in Chattanooga offered me a great place to stay, and brought Hazel and Stanley over to visit after the show. 

***
A Final Thought

"Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something." 
-Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park








No comments: