Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Light Beneath the Clouds


Light Beneath the Clouds
Oil on black canvas, 20x20, sold

I have three big projects going now, and another very exciting one in the works. I can't tell you about that one yet, but I will when it's all finalized. In the meantime, here are the three that I'm working on: 

  • 101 DOGS - In this project (which is about halfway done), I'm making 101 paintings of dogs, in honor of my dear Jojo and lovely Zoe, who died in September, two weeks apart. For $375, you get a 12-inch-by-12-inch oil painting of your dog and a book or poster of all the paintings when the project is finished. I'm giving money from each purchase to a dog-related group, as well. For more about the project, click here. 

  • BIG SKIES PAINTING TRIP - In October, I'm heading to Montana, Wyoming and perhaps South Dakota, to make plein air paintings of these beautiful Western states. Sponsorships start at $125, and include regular blog postings, goodies from the road, and paintings when I return. Sponsors choose their paintings in the order in which they sign up! For more information, click here. 

  • 2017 WACHAPREAGUE CALENDAR - I'm about halfway done with this one, and I'm loving how it's turning out. It's a calendar of 12 scenes of our little town, and it will be available soon, for a reasonable price, from me, and from Seaside Antiques and Art, right here in town. If you know you want a calendar or two, you can stop in at the shop and put an order in, or drop me an email at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com


Cornflowers
Oil on black canvas, 10x10, sold

***
Dog of the Day


WE HAD A big black chow at one point, named Frank. Peter had gone to the pound with our daughter, who was looking at a lhasa apso. Erika came home with that dog (whose name is lost in my memory right now), and also Zoe, who, years later, came to live with us. Peter came back with Frank, who'd been trembling and barking and troubled with diarrhea in the pound.

Frank was a great dog, gentle and sweet and very funny. He looked fierce, and he could be fierce, but what he mostly wanted was to rip up a chew toy and lean against a human. He was a great dog and I still miss him. There's something very special about a chow, something deep and rich and noble, and then on top of that, at least in our experience, something silly. This guy made me think of Frankie.

***
A Final Thought

"I was not ready for abstraction. I clung to earth and her dear shapes, her density, her herbage, her juice. I wanted her volume, and I wanted to hear her throb." 

- Emily Carr


No comments: