Monday, October 17, 2016

Waterfall in the Woods

Waterfall in the Woods
Oil on canvas, 12x12, bartered! 

I've truly enjoyed the waterfall paintings I've done recently, though all have come from photographs. We live in one of the flattest places in the country! Out here in the west, I'm seeing waterfalls, but so far, have not been able to set up safely to paint them. But I'm taking pictures, and continuing to look for them. I've painted a few, but apparently have only posted one - Waterfall with Birches. I will be sure to post the others soon. 

Part of the fun of painting waterfalls, at least for me, is that I paint everything ELSE first, and then paint the water rushing through the rocks. So it sort of saves the best for last - but it also puts everything on the line. Mess up the water and you mess up the painting. So it's an all-or-nothing sort of thing. 

I've encountered a few other, similar gambles. One is the hair over a dog's eyes. I paint the whole dog first, eyes and everything, then paint the raggedy, shaggy hair over those beautiful eyes. Click here to see Colbyhere to see Woodreau, and here to see Archie. There's not a lot of hair over those eyes, but still, it's alarming. 

A tree in the front of a painting has some of the same risk! 

***
One from the Road

Well, OK, two from the road. This Walmart in Gillette, Wyoming, has got to be the best-decorated Walmart anywhere! And below, just a view of Wyoming - big sky, big land and everywhere, barbed-wire fences. 


***
Dog of the Day

Saw this dog in Minneapolis this summer. She seemed to love her little outfit! She's got the same crazy markings as Lulu and Doc. Here's a photo of them, that Peter took. Please click on it to see it larger, because Lulu (on the left) looks so hilariously deranged! 


***
A Final Thought

"There are always flowers for those who want to see them." 

- Henri Matisse, courtesy of Lynn Hoins


No comments: