Monday, January 9, 2017

Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe
Oil on canvas, 16x16
Please click here to email me for price and availability

A few years ago, when I was just starting out doing shows, I decided to try Florida. I did three shows and bombed miserably, selling just one painting in three shows - and they were supposedly good shows, too.

It seemed I just didn't have the right stuff for Florida - and it was easy to think that maybe I never would.

This fall, an artist named Carroll Swayzee invited me to a show she has put on for five years in Englewood, where she lives. Carroll is a painter, and though I don't know her well, I like her work and her attitude. The show came at a good time for me, and so I decided to give it a try.

So, Jan. 28 and 29, I'll be at the Englewood Bank and Trust Invitational Art show, 1111 South McCall Road., Englewood, Florida. And in preparation for the show, I'm painting some bright, sunny, beachy, Florida-type pieces, like Fisherman Joe.

A while ago, I thought I'd try people, that maybe portraits would differentiate me from the landscape-and-flower crowd. I had a blast, but eventually got sidetracked by the need for BIG art. So far, I haven't had the nerve to do a person BIG - but one of these days, I will. Especially having had such fun with Joe.

***

I was looking for something in my photo program the other day, and came across this "event." I took all these photos on THE SAME DAY, from a snowstorm in Connecticut to forsythia and cherry trees blooming on the Eastern Shore. 

***
Dog of the Day

This DOD lives just outside Wachapreague - and was not too happy with me, as I drove by on New Year's Day. 

***
A Final Thought

"What separates artists from ex-artists is that those who challenge their fears, continue; those who don't, quit. Each step in the artmaking process puts that issue to the test." 

- David Bayles and Ted Orland
"Art & Fear / Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking









No comments: