Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No Cows Yet

No Cows Yet. Oil on stretched canvas, 12x12
please contact me for price and shipping/delivery info

I had passed through Ganado, Arizona, and was on my way to the Canyon de Chelly, when I stopped to paint this field with the mesa in the background. This painting happened a little before "Storm Over Ganado." The clouds built up as I traveled down the road.

When I looked up from my painting, I saw a young boy herding a cow along the fence. A woman - his mother, I guessed - drove at his walking pace along the road.

I was on the Navajo reservation, which has an open range policy. Cows, horses, any and all animals are allowed to go wherever they want to go. And so, the adventurous ones do.

This boy had four or five more miles to walk behind this cow, he said. But they would get her home, before the storm came.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man! It seems like you have had all these images inside you all the time and now they're exploding out on your canvases! Love the slightly warm green against the cool blue sky.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Sheila! You are such a good reader and friend. I miss you when you're busy!