Friday, June 26, 2009

Redoing Guilford

Inlet, Guilford. Oil on stretched canvas, 8x10

After the incident with the skunk, I tried to get back to paint again in Guilford, but was waylaid, several times, and ended up painting this one in the studio.

It took me a while to figure out what bothered me about that first painting. Mostly, I think, the problem was that the reflection of the trees on the left was so much bigger and so much more eye-catching in real life than in my painting. The inlet opened wider, too.

So in this small piece, I tried to focus on those things. It's still not what I want, but is closer.

As always, I welcome these periods of feeling unsettled and unhappy with my paintings. They signal growth, I know, and so I am willing to live through them. I'm thankful that you are, too.

No comments: