Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

Edge of the Shore - and Edge of the Memory

Edge of the Shore
Oil on canvas, 18x36

Ronet Noe and I had a great time Saturday painting at Center Framing and Art in West Hartford Center, CT. 

Old friends and new came by - and I forgot to take photos of anyone. Please, if you visit and I am not taking photos, remind me! You'd think it would be second nature by now, but it is not. 

***

I HAVE REALIZED that I really do not remember much of my childhood. I remember scenes, and I remember places, but I don't remember the things that happened. 

For instance, I can recall the Ellisons' yard, where we always played, and I know I played with Cathy and Pat Ellison - but I can't remember the actual playing, or what Cathy looked like, though I know she had blonde hair. 

Interestingly, tellingly perhaps, I do remember their dog Max. 

I remember the first time I rode my bike with no training wheels. I remember a walk my grandfather took with my brother and me when we were very young. I remember rolling back the rug in the TV room and dancing wildly with my brother to "Sabre Dance." 

But beyond those few scraps, there's virtually nothing. 

And clearly, this is disturbing me. 

Do you all remember stuff from your childhood? More than outlines? I would love to know. 

***


This is a photo of the sky, a couple days ago at dawn in Wachapreague. Amazing! 

***
Dogs of the Day


Yes, I have plenty of photos of other peoples' dogs for Dog of the Day, but I ran across this one while I was looking for something else and wanted to post it. It's Jojo, on the left, and Woodreau, hanging out at the edge of my studio, offering friendship and protection. And you know what? I haven't been attacked One Time since they decided to protect me. 

2 comments:

SLR said...

If I had to write my autobiography, 95% would be made up; the remaining 5% would be 'I think this what happened' stuff.

carrie jacobson said...

Oh, this is GREAT! Made me laugh. I am glad to be in such excellent and witty company.