Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Red Umbrella - and... Feel Like Hosting an Art Party?

The Red Umbrella
Oil on canvas, 16x20

I don't remember when I started this painting, or even where I was. I THINK I was somewhere north of Boston - but even that memory is vague.

I've had this painting for a couple years at least - mostly finished, but not truly finished. I think I was afraid of painting the people, though I had sketched them in, and the sketches were really pretty good.

One thing I am learning is that paintings generally need less detail than I used to believe they needed. At this distance, for example, I don't have to worry about the nose on the guy sitting under the umbrella. I need only to suggest that there is a guy (or girl) sitting under the umbrella, and get close with the posture.

So I'm glad I saved this painting, glad I saw something in it, and let it sit until I was ready.

***

WOULD ANYONE OUT THERE like to host an art party for me? Ideally, you live somewhere that's not in the sticks, you have a fairly large home or apartment, or basement, or garage, or access to a fairly large space. You have lots of friends who love art and want to buy art for themselves or for their friends and family.

I'd pay for the refreshments, help with the invites, supply the art and be on my best behavior. We'd have fun!

Drop me an email if you think you might like to do this! It's carrieBjacobson@gmail.com

***
Dog of the Day


The Dog of the Day is... Puffy! She looks all cute and fluffy here, but believe me, she's as tough as any dog - at least any dog in this house. Jojo won't go near the couch when Puffy is relaxing on it like this.

And here are some real dogs having a howling good time: 

 


No comments: