Monday, February 8, 2016

Back to Tumacacori - and into Sweet Poppy

Back to Tumacacori
Oil on canvas, 10x10
 and become a sponsor of the Arizona Byways Painting Trip! 

My painting in the landscape
I love this little painting, the abstract quality of it, the memory of cubism, the tumble of colors and shapes - and the way the sun and shadow still work, even with all that's going on here.

I've been pushing the abstraction a little bit more, and am finding I like it.

What do you think?


***

I'm happy to report that I have a new outlet in Tubac. It's not solely a gallery, but is a wonderful store that sells furniture, fun things for the home, art and handmade, artful items. The store is called Sweet Poppy, and I'm delighted to be a part of it. 
The story begins with my stepmother, Paula, telling me over the phone a couple weeks ago that she'd bought a chair that I would love. And she was right. It's upholstered in five or six different, fun fabrics, and has an ottoman to match. Paula got the chair at Sweet Poppy, and insisted that I needed to go there, and that my paintings would do great there. So after I licked my gallery-rejection wounds for a day or two, I went over and checked out the store. 
I loved it right off. It's filled to the brim with stuff, and the stuff is bright and colorful and cheerful and happy. My kind of stuff! Marsha, who owns the shop, is as cheerful and bright as her store - it truly reflects her personality, which I'm sure is one of the reasons it's prospering. 

She loved my paintings, and they fit right in. Don't they look great? 

If you're in Tubac, Sweet Poppy is over a little footbridge at 19 Tubac Road, on the path to Shelby's Bistro. It's a wonderful shop, with much to look at and buy. Anyone would have fun there! 

The footbridge to Sweet Poppy



 Here's Marsha

***
Dog of the Day 
Met this cute little bichony guy as I was heading out the other day. He's a rescue, and is now living a pampered, adored, be-sweatered life in Tubac. 

***
A Final Thought
"Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant. There is no such thing. 
Making your unknown known is the important thing."

- Georgia O'Keeffe



4 comments:

Clemson Patti said...

I LOVE that store! Always stop by and surely will do so on my next visit :)

Unknown said...

LOVE it - love the energy in your colors and the abstractions! It vibrates!
And huge congrats on being accepted into Sweet Poppy - very nice news after a couple of difficult gallery encounters, and your work looks absolutely wonderful there - it is, indeed, the exact right vibe for it!

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Patti! It's really a very cool store, and I'm thrilled to be there. When you stop in, please introduce yourself to Marsha (she's wonderful!) and let her know you're a friend!

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Ellen - I'm pretty happy with the current string of paintings, and am delighted to be in Sweet Poppy. It feels so very right.