Thursday, February 25, 2016

Winding Road

 Winding Road
Oil on black canvas, 10x10, $125

I'm on my way home now, heading east, and it's a wonderful and slightly sad feeling, both at the same time. I will miss this land of mountains and deserts, red rocks, sun-washed earth. I will miss the soft colors of the desert, the strange and beautiful cactus and desert plants. I already miss Dad and Paula, and the warm little town of Tubac. But I miss home, and Peter, even more.

Again, as I head east, I realize how much I love driving, and just being on the road. There is a deep simplicity to it, especially when I'll be on one road for so very long. My choices are few - keep driving or stop. Need gas or no. Pass or don't pass. I like that. More than anything, though, I love watching the landscape, soaking it in, seeing it change, mile by mile, bit by bit.

Now, I'm in Holbrook, Arizona, and the mountains are behind me. I'm in a place of yellow grass and red rocks and an unbroken horizon. It's subtle and beautiful, and the sky is huge.


***
Scenes from the Road

Above, the sky over Tubac one evening. Below, 
a road near my dad's house, one morning.  
]

After the show, I had some nice sales, including "Looking Ahead,"
which looks so great in this couple's house! 

***
Dog of the Day

 This guy herded me along, on my way back to Dad and Paula's one evening...

***
A Final Thought

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."
- Edgar Degas

No comments: