Thursday, April 30, 2020

Owl in Flight


Owl in Flight / Oil on black canvas / 5x7 unframed / $68

sold! 

IF YOU'VE EVER seen an owl in flight, you know how freakishly silent its flight is. 

Apparently, their wing and feather structure make this possible. According to the National Audubon Society, a part of this is the fact that their wings are huge, in comparison to their bodies. This means that they can fly slowly, gliding more than flapping. And if you've been around birds, you know that that flapping is surprisingly loud. 

The leading edges of owls' wing feathers are serrated, and this apparently breaks up the turbulence in the air streams around them. 

Their quiet flight helps them sneak up on their prey, and also safeguards their ability to hear their prey - less distraction from their own wings. 

Cool! 

***
Workshop

We will be painting a vase of lilacs this Saturday, at 1 p.m. Eastern on my Carrie Jacobson Artist Facebook page. I hope you'll join us!

Find me on Facebook Live around 1, and set yourself up with something to paint with and something to paint on, and off we'll go. The workshop is free, and will take about an hour. I'll be using a palette knife and oils, but you can use whatever you like.

Good colors to have will be a blue, a red, a white, a yellow, and to make life a little easier, a purple - or you can mix your own purples, if you like.

If you wear tie-dye, you'll have extra fun!

Here's my Carrie Jacobson artist page - https://www.facebook.com/carriejacobsonartist and here is a page with most of the workshops I've given since the isolation began - https://www.facebook.com/Carrie-Jacobson-Workshop-Videos

See you online!

***
For Today

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. 
If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - 
and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it." 

- Rabbit, created by A.A. Milne





No comments: