Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Starling

Starling / Oil on black canvas / 5x5 / $68 including shipping

This bird has flown!

OK, THE WHOLE LONG NASTY story of starlings rang in my ears as I painted this, but I found myself admiring them. Being impressed by their resourcefulness, their success at survival. Their resilience. 

They are not native to North America, though by now, they might as well be. They compete for food and for nests, and they often win. They are so amazing at finding feeders and emptying them that many people, myself included, take the feeders in regularly when the starlings come to call. 

So, yes, they are pests, they are invasive, they cause lots of damage to crops and animal feed. They disrupt backyard ecosystems... but they are kind of pretty, in a dark and glinting, emerald and ebony sort of way. 

***
My Loyal Blog Readers

STARTING THURSDAY, my larger paintings will be on sale on my website, Jacobson Arts (http://jacobson-arts.com). 

The small paintings will not be discounted, though shipping will be free for nearly everything. But if you loyal blog readers buy any painting, during my Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts virtual show and sale, please make sure I know that you're a blog reader, and you will receive an extra discount - if you want it - on even the small pieces. 

***
For Today

The Germ

A mighty creature is the germ,
Though smaller than the pachyderm.
His customary dwelling place
is deep within the human race.
His childish pride he often pleases
by giving people strange diseases.
Do you, my poppet, feel infirm?
You probably contain a germ. 

- Ogden Nash

No comments: