Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Goldfinch

Goldfinch / oil on black canvas / 5x7 / $68 includes shipping

sold!


THIS MORNING, WHILE LIESL and the dogs and I were walking, I heard Canada geese calling, and looked up to see a small flock heading south. It probably was just happenstance, but maybe not. Maybe the fall migration is starting. I have read that birds' schedules depend on the length of days more than anything else, and the days are certainly shorter now, on both ends. 

I myself am glad. I will be glad when this year is over and done with, and one of the signs of that happening is this brutally hot summer drawing to an end. Though I don't like the later and later dawns, I welcome the earlier sunsets, and the slight lessening of the strength of the sun's rays. I sure will miss the birds when they go, though. 

Liesl with Lulu and Koko, on Sunday, a beautiful morning in Wachapreague. 

***
A Final Thought

"The very idea of a bird is a symbol and a suggestion to the poet. A bird seems to be at the top of the scale, so vehement and intense is his life, large-brained, large-lunged, hot, ecstatic, his frame charged with buoyancy and his heart with song." 

- John Burroughs



No comments: