Sunday, August 30, 2020

Little Hummer


Little Hummer / oil on black canvas / 4x4 / $48 including shipping

sold! 

MY FRIEND CAROL has been here about 10 days, and I've enjoyed every minute of our visit. She has, too - but it's not the vacation paradise one generally imagines. 

She came down from Pennsylvania during one of the hottest stretches of the Wachapreague summer, and stayed in my little house, where the central A/C is broken. She is leaving Monday, and the new A/C is coming Tuesday. We've managed with a couple window units, but only by tolerating a quite warm house, living with curtains and shades drawn, and watching TV in the evenings in the dark. 

Koko is quite in love with Carol, which is a delightful thing to behold (yes, I am a little jealous, but only a little). While it is of course, wonderful to be adored by a sweet dog, it bears remembering that Koko is a sweet and very warm dog, who loves to snuggle, and that's fine if it's cool but not so great when it's 86 inside the house. Also, Koko has the sharpest elbows of any dog ever. When they dig in, it's like no other kind of pain. 

And finally, Koko has a terrible habit of flinging herself to the ground and rolling on her back in the path of the people she adores. She has come to know that I detest this particular form of adoration, and so, usually, she doesn't do it to me - except, it seems, when I come in from a long outing, and really have to pee - then she does her flinging three or four times as I make my way from the door to the bathroom. Someday, I will end up peeing on her, I know. She does this to Carol pretty much every time Carol walks anywhere in the house, and my friend, bless her heart, puts up with it. 

All the doggies seem to love Carol, and that's great. It's given me a little break from the rigors of my daily festival of dog love. I'll be happy to be the target of their affections again, but it's been nice to be the sideman for a bit. 

***
For Today

"...when you are convinced that all the exits are blocked, either you take to believing in miracles or you stand still like the hummingbird. The miracle is that the honey is always there, right under your nose, only you were too bush searching elsewhere to realize it. The worst is not death but being blind, blind to the fact that everything about life is in the nature of the miraculous." 

- Henry Miller


No comments: