Thursday, August 27, 2020

Pelican

Pelican / Oil on black canvas / 5x7 / $68 including shipping

sold! 


MY AIR-CONDITIONING AND HEAT machine died last week. Down here, this thing is called a heat pump, and either it or the roof is the most expensive thing on the house. It sits outside, and pumps either hot or cold air through the ductwork, keeping the house comfortable. Growing up in New England, I never encountered one of these things until we moved down here. 

I'd known for a couple years that it was on the way out, but I kept hoping that somehow, it would survive. I am still planning on leaving Wachapreague and moving back to New England, close to most of my family, but it's taking me longer to make this happen than I had thought it would. And I'd hoped that the big, important, expensive machine would last until the house had sold. 

But deep in my heart, I knew that that would have been karmically disingenuous of me, at the very least. Like making someone a sandwich made with deli meat that was on its last legs. Maybe they'd be OK, and maybe they wouldn't - but I'd always know that I'd done wrong. 

So, continuing my practice of seeking to be grateful for everything, I am grateful that I have the money to pay for this expensive thing. I am grateful that the old machine, tired and exhausted and wearing out, got me through the terrible heat of July and early August. And I am grateful that it happened when it did, when I didn't have to weigh and measure my own honesty. 

***
For Today

"You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong." 

- Sue Fitzmaurice










***
For Today

"You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong." 

- Sue Fitzmaurice


No comments: