Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Adventure in the wind

Patagonia, Ariz. Oil on stretched canvas, 10x20

This morning, I find myself in Holbrook, Arizona, at the edge of the Painted Desert. I awoke early to get out and paint, but it's blowing at nearly hurricane velocity, as it was yesterday evening. So there is no hurry this morning.

I drove through gorgeous countryside yesterday, on absolutely horrifying roads. I'd planned on taking highways, but when I checked the time, the back roads cut hours, and so I set off. If I'd known how high and steep and winding they were, how vertiginous (that means creating vertigo, right?), I doubt I'd have had the courage. But, blindly, I set off, and yes, the scenery was surely breathtaking - in all sorts of ways!

As I came down from the mountains, I found myself in a gorgeous sun-washed prairie, in the towns of Show Low, Snowflake and Holbrook. It is lovely here, indeed.

So I am off to the Painted Desert, and to Ganado, and Fort Defiance, where I spent the first years of my life. Then to Santa Fe and Taos and home. The journey already has been spectacular, and I suspect the best is ahead of me still.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: